Current Watches and Warnings
Texas, Coastal Willacy
Coastal Flood Watch, Coastal Hazard Statement, High Surf Advisory
Statement as of 5:23 AM CDT on September 02, 2014
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on September 03, 2014
... Coastal Flood Watch in effect through Wednesday evening...
... High rip current risk now in effect through Wednesday
... High surf advisory remains in effect from 1 PM this afternoon
to 7 PM CDT Wednesday...
The National Weather Service in Brownsville has issued a coastal
Flood Watch... which is in effect through Wednesday evening.
* Coastal flooding... some minor coastal flooding or tidal overflow
will be possible along the deep south Texas beaches through late
Wednesday particularly during high tides. High tide on South
Padre Island occurred at 1212 am this morning. The next low tide
is expected at 318 PM today while the next high tide will occur
at 130 am Wednesday morning.
* Waves and surf... Gulf seas along the Lower Texas coastline will
build to 6 to 9 feet later today and will persist in this range
through Wednesday. The high surf conditions today and Wednesday
will create potentially deadly swimming conditions along the
Lower Texas coastline.
* Timing... the hazardous marine conditions will start on the local
beaches later this afternoon and this evening and will persist
through at least Wednesday afternoon as large swells moving away
from the center of Dolly impact the Lower Texas coast.
* Impacts... elevated swells from Tropical Storm Dolly will result
in frequent life threatening rip currents through Wednesday.
Rough surf will make swimming hazardous. The high surf will
also produce minor to moderate beach erosion... especially to
dunes. Any personal property left on the beach... such as
umbrellas or chairs... may be damaged by the large waves.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in The
Sandbar and in the vicinity of structures such as groins...
jetties and piers. Heed the advice of lifeguards and the beach
patrol. Pay attention to flags and posted signs.
If you become caught in a rip current... do not panic. Remain calm
and begin to swim parallel to shore. Once you are away from the
force of the rip current... begin to swim back to the beach. Do
not attempt to swim directly against a rip current. Even a strong
swimmer can become exhausted quickly.
A high surf advisory is issued when dangerous water action is
expected along the coast. This includes rough or high surf...
large breaking waves... rip currents... and strong undertow. High
surf is defined generally to be head high or greater on an average
man... about 6 feet or more.
Beach goers are urged to heed flag warnings.
A coastal Flood Watch is issued for the possibility of substantial
tidal flooding generally within the next 24 to 48 hours... defined
as tides 5 feet or greater above mean lower low water on the beach
front and more than 3.5 feet above mean lower low water for Bay
- Alabama - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Alaska - Areal Flood Watch , High Surf Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- California - Fire Weather Watch
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Record Report
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Illinois - Areal Flood Warning , Record Report
- Indiana - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning
- Kansas - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maine - Dense Fog Advisory
- Massachusetts - Dense Fog Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Record Report
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Montana - Flood Warning , High Wind Warning , Record Report
- Nebraska - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- New Hampshire - Public Information Statement
- New Jersey - Air Quality Alert
- New Mexico - Record Report
- North Carolina - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Ohio - Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch
- Oregon - Fire Weather Watch
- Rhode Island - Dense Fog Advisory , Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Record Report
- Tennessee - Record Report
- Texas - Coastal Flood Watch, Coastal Hazard Statement, High Surf Advisory , Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Virginia - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Public Information Statement
- West Virginia - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Watch, Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Warning